We provide FREE legal services and assistance to low income individuals who live within our catchment area and qualify for our services. To receive any services from us, you MUST first qualify for our services (for details see Eligibility for Services).
For persons who qualify, we provide free legal advice and select representation for legal problems that fall within our areas of practice. Please see our referrals page If you need assistance in a different area of law.
Our Areas of Practice include:
Landlord and Tenant
Social Assistance (ODSP/OW)
We provide a range of services to tenants dealing with evictions, harassment, discrimination, lack of repair or maintenance, illegal rent increases etc. We are also able to assist members of housing co-operatives facing similar issues.
Social Assistance & Income Security
We assist in matters involving Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security.
We assist with matters involving citizenship, humanitarian and compassionate applications, sponsorship and family reunification.
(All links lead off-site)
- New citizenship bill tabled, which will repeal many of the provisions brought in last year
- Liberals indicate doing away with the 2-year Conditional PR status for sponsored spouses
- Refugee loans will be addressed in upcoming budget, with the government considering covering all government and privately-sponsored refugees’ costs to travel to Canada
- Interim Federal Health Plan to be fully restored April 1st
- Haitians and Zimbabweans: additional time to apply for permanent residence
- Guide for NGOs on approaches by law enforcement agencies, including Canada Border Service Agency
Employment Standards & Employment Insurance
We provide advice to workers with issues arising under the Employment Standards Act, and in establishing eligibility for Employment Insurance Benefits.
While we do not generally provide assistance in matters before the Human Rights Tribunal Of Ontario, we can provide advice and assistance with respect to human rights issues that may arise in the course of proceedings in relation to housing, social assistance and income security, immigration and employment standards/insurance.
Notarizing & Commissioning Documents
We also Notarize and Commission documents for clients who qualify for our services. Such documents can include income verification affidavits for housing or daycare subsidies, immigration documents or identity documents. An appointment is required for these services.
Need help in a different area of law? Please look at our referrals section.